Bayou

Bayou
Catahoula Leopard Dog

Harley (now called Watson)

Harley (now called Watson)
Our Golden Retriever/Labrador Retriever puppy

Moped and Skooter

Moped and Skooter

Huxley and Blitz

Huxley and Blitz
hiking the Garden of the Gods
Everything you ever wanted to know about Skooter and Moped but were afraid to ask!
Want your dog to be a part of the Dog Blog? Email your picture(s) and the dog's story to internettie1960@gmail.com

A Tribute To Tabby (7/93 - 4/08)


Monday, September 28, 2009

Waiting

I started out the morning by letting Harley out of his kennel. I went out to the dining room and got his Kibble Nibble filled with his breakfast. Before he ate he went outside and did his business. Then he came in and pushed the Kibble Nibble around until all the food had been eaten. Then Harley started playing with his toys. I could see all the times that I could have made him wait for things but I wasn't thinking. I did make him wait for some things but not as many as I could have. So I sent an email to Christine asking about an individual session for Harley to work on the impulse control exercises. I hope to hear back from her sometime today. I also asked her about the cost for an individual session and the intermediate class.

I can see that Harley and I have the same problem - impulse control. Mine is with eating and spending; his is with everything. lol Seriously though, I can see that I don't always control my impulses and so I don't think to teach Harley to control his impulses. I think this will be one of those things that not only benefits Harley but will benefit me too.

I have a noon appointment with Marianne today so I need to get him out there walking a couple of times before I go out. I also need to get some Kongs in the freezer for him to have while I am gone. I have some grocery shopping to do today but that will have to wait until David is home this afternoon. I don't want to leave Harley longer than I have to.

He's on the living room floor right now chewing on one of his many bison bones. They really do keep him busy and keep him chewing on appropriate things. I'm glad that he enjoys his chew toys so much and that he doesn't destroy our stuff.

I need to start writing down all the things that he does that I need help with to get him to stop (jumping up on me, jumping on the tables, trying to get things off the tables, getting my clothes, especially socks, and running around the house trying to play keep away with them). I just don't know exactly what to do to get the behaviors that I want. For example, how do I get him to wait at the door even if the door is open? That's just one thing, but there are many more. That's why I need to write them down.

I guess I should get dressed and take him out for a walk. He really needs the exercise today and so do I!

No comments:

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie
Skooter

Samantha's Prince of the Pines

Samantha's Prince of the Pines
Moped the Magnificent

Retrieve

Powered By Blogger