Bayou

Bayou
Catahoula Leopard Dog

Harley (now called Watson)

Harley (now called Watson)
Our Golden Retriever/Labrador Retriever puppy

Moped and Skooter

Moped and Skooter

Huxley and Blitz

Huxley and Blitz
hiking the Garden of the Gods
Everything you ever wanted to know about Skooter and Moped but were afraid to ask!
Want your dog to be a part of the Dog Blog? Email your picture(s) and the dog's story to internettie1960@gmail.com

A Tribute To Tabby (7/93 - 4/08)


Thursday, September 24, 2009

Completed 2nd Walk

We just completed our second walk of the day. We walked for about 15 minutes. He was much better behaved this time around. He's back in his kennel napping. Again, he went in there on his own. While he's napping I'm going to take a shower. I may take him for one more walk before I leave the house. I've got to set up some Kongs for him to play with while I'm gone. I'll fill them with kibble and seal them with peanut butter and cream cheese. I'm sure he'll enjoy playing with them. It helps to relieve any anxiety he has about me leaving him. I'll be out until at least 3:30pm but David should be home by 3pm so Harley will only be alone about an hour and a half.

Walking Harley sure does make a huge difference in his behavior. I can't believe how much more calm he is today than he was just yesterday. Walking him makes the day better for both of us. I feel better because I don't have to worry about going a long distance from home. We can just repeat the circle of the cul de sac. My concern about the long walk right now is that we'd get out there and he wouldn't want to walk or would start biting or trying to run off and I'd be so far from the car or house that it would make it a miserable time for both of us. So I'm going to stick to walking around the cul de sac and to the mailbox for now.

I've been thinking a lot about Harley's behavior or I guess I should say what I want his behavior to be. I really want him to be a calm dog. I want him to be happy too not frustrated because that only leads to problems. So, not only do I need to keep walking him but I also need to become the boss. He won't do anything I ask of him if he thinks he is the boss. And right now I think that Harley sees himself as the boss. I want to be able to sit on the floor with him and not have him attack my head so he can bite my hair. I want to be able to bend over and pick something up off of the floor without him going after me. I want him to stop biting and jumping up on me. I understand that he's just a 16 week old puppy and he will do some of those things, but right now I don't have a handle on his behavior. Don't get me wrong, he's a smart and good puppy but he has to have rules, limitations and boundaries.

Okay it's 12:45pm so I better hop in the shower so I can maybe walk him one more time before I go. The clouds have moved in but I hope it doesn't rain right away. He definitely needs another walk.

No comments:

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie
Skooter

Samantha's Prince of the Pines

Samantha's Prince of the Pines
Moped the Magnificent

Retrieve

Powered By Blogger