Bayou

Bayou
Catahoula Leopard Dog

Harley (now called Watson)

Harley (now called Watson)
Our Golden Retriever/Labrador Retriever puppy

Moped and Skooter

Moped and Skooter

Huxley and Blitz

Huxley and Blitz
hiking the Garden of the Gods
Everything you ever wanted to know about Skooter and Moped but were afraid to ask!
Want your dog to be a part of the Dog Blog? Email your picture(s) and the dog's story to internettie1960@gmail.com

A Tribute To Tabby (7/93 - 4/08)


Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Red light/Green light

I did some research on walking on a leash. I'm finding pretty much the same advice everywhere on the web. The suggestion is to do the red light/green light procedure with him. When he pulls, I stop until he puts some slack in the leash. When the leash is slack we get to walk. When he's biting the leash, same thing, stop when he's biting and walk when he's not biting. I can't reward bad behavior AT ALL! He can't think that he's going to get away with misbehaving. So tomorrow we'll get out there at least twice, possibly 3 times. We won't take long walks but just enough to get him walking okay on the leash again.

The only conflicting info is whether or not to let him sniff around. Some say to not let him do that, but he's a puppy and he needs to explore the world. I think he'll only get frustrated if I try to keep him on my side the entire time. Then again, I don't want him to think he can just do whatever he wants. I guess there needs to be a balance between the two.

He's crashed out on the air vent because the AC is on and he ran himself out tonight. He was doing retrieve with his duck and his ball. He's not quite getting the 'bring it' command but he's doing okay. He had a lot of fun and that's what's important.

I'm really grateful that he sleeps through the night and doesn't complain about being in his kennel. I'm sleeping so much better now that he's here. He's not going to sleep on the bed though. I'm not giving up my bed ever again for a dog (even though he is very cute!).

No comments:

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie
Skooter

Samantha's Prince of the Pines

Samantha's Prince of the Pines
Moped the Magnificent

Retrieve

Powered By Blogger