Bayou

Bayou
Catahoula Leopard Dog

Harley (now called Watson)

Harley (now called Watson)
Our Golden Retriever/Labrador Retriever puppy

Moped and Skooter

Moped and Skooter

Huxley and Blitz

Huxley and Blitz
hiking the Garden of the Gods
Everything you ever wanted to know about Skooter and Moped but were afraid to ask!
Want your dog to be a part of the Dog Blog? Email your picture(s) and the dog's story to internettie1960@gmail.com

A Tribute To Tabby (7/93 - 4/08)


Monday, August 31, 2009

He's getting so big!

Harley is laying down in the kitchen by the dishwasher. He is a lazy puppy and I love that about him. He's starting to want to stay out longer when he goes outside. He loves laying in the grass. I'm not too worried about him going under the fence but there is one section that still needs fence at the bottom so I don't feel comfortable just letting him out on his own. Plus, he's still just too young to stay out on his own. He did have to get a time out today for biting at me and my clothes. He wasn't in there too long, just long enough for him to know that what he did was not acceptable. I think I will get my point across easier once the second kennel is in place in the dining room. That's usually where the biting starts. If I can give him a time out more immediately maybe he'll really get that the behavior is not wanted.

I've been reading conflicting things on walking Harley. Some say it shouldn't be more than 20 minutes, some say to walk them until they tire out (which could be 20 minutes, I don't know). But they also say that the biting may be because he has too much pent up energy from not getting enough exercise. I agree with that. Everything I read about getting them to stop biting I've tried (yelping, turning away) and giving him a time out seems to work the best. So I'll be sticking with that until he gets through the baby teeth stage. I just put two wet wash clothes in the freezer for him to chew on once they are frozen. I'm sure he'll like that.


I try to make meals interesting for Harley. Sometimes I put little piles of food all over the living room and dining room and let him hunt them down. Other times I put his food in a couple of Kongs sealed with peanut butter and liver treats. He loves that but he's so smart that he's figured out how to shake his food out of his Kong pretty quickly. So tonight I spread his food out on the dining room floor. It makes him eat slower and gives him something to think about. He seems to enjoy the change up in meals.


Here he is with the big dog biscuit I got for him at the natural pet market. It's almost as big as he is. He loves to bring his food and toys over to the air register. He likes to drag stuff on it. Maybe he likes the sound.


And here he is perched atop his toys and chews. The might Harley! lol David just took him outside. I can hear the dogs behind us barking. I think Harley barked once too. He really wants to get to know Freckles and Zeus but they are just so much bigger than he is right now. I'm sure he'll get closer to them once he gets a bit bigger.

No comments:

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie
Skooter

Samantha's Prince of the Pines

Samantha's Prince of the Pines
Moped the Magnificent

Retrieve

Powered By Blogger