Bayou

Bayou
Catahoula Leopard Dog

Harley (now called Watson)

Harley (now called Watson)
Our Golden Retriever/Labrador Retriever puppy

Moped and Skooter

Moped and Skooter

Huxley and Blitz

Huxley and Blitz
hiking the Garden of the Gods
Everything you ever wanted to know about Skooter and Moped but were afraid to ask!
Want your dog to be a part of the Dog Blog? Email your picture(s) and the dog's story to internettie1960@gmail.com

A Tribute To Tabby (7/93 - 4/08)


Sunday, August 16, 2009

Getting into a schedule

We're keeping Harley under a tighter watch today. He napped in his kennel while I napped in bed. When we got up I made him wait until I was ready to let him out of his kennel. We went outside and he peed and pooped. Then I took Harley for a walk. He got to meet the Deno's. He was pretty good. I think he peed when he got excited so I'm going to have to watch that. He jumped up on Mrs. Deno though. He wasn't obnoxious about it though but I made him sit. Then we finished our walk. He does pretty good on the first 3/4 of the walk but near the end he starts biting his leash. I tell him to drop it and get it out of his mouth and then we continue our walk. I don't want to walk him too much since he's growing so much but I want him to use up his energy walking.

When we came in David played retrieve with him. He chased his Kong ball, picked it up, brought it back and dropped it so David could roll it again. He would make Harley sit before he would roll the ball. He's doing really well with sitting at the door and for his food. He doesn't even have to be told to sit now, he just does it once he figures out that it's time to go in or it's time for food. He's in his kennel taking a nap right now. He's tuckered out from walking and playing. This is the kind of schedule I need to keep him on (walk, eat, play, nap). And after talking to David about it I think he needs to spend more time contained in his kennel instead of having the run of the house. I think that's what's giving him his overconfidence.

David and I talked about training and what we should do. I think, after talking to him, that I should just do the training here at home and not pay for someone to tell me what I already know. The only thing Harley would miss out on is the socialization but that will come once he has all his shots and I get to take him walking with me. I want him to meet Woody and Sammy too, if it's possible. I want him to have friends that he's not dominating. But I'll probably wait until he's not quite so nippy. That could be just what he needs though is another dog to put him in his place.

I've moved his kennel into the dining room. That way I can get him in there without much fuss during the day. He'll begin to sleep out here tonight. I'm sure he'll whine a bit but that's okay. I don't want him to think that he always has to be near me. I don't want to create separation anxiety in him. I see Marianne tomorrow so he'll be alone for a couple of hours. Then on Tuesday I have a dentist appointment so he'll be alone again. I really need to get back to my walking tomorrow. I need to keep my schedule as much as possible. I want to go up to Palmer Park instead of walking around the neighborhood. I don't enjoy the walk around the neighborhood. I do enjoy the walk up on the Mesa Trail.

I'm going to watch some videos on training to get an idea of what I need to do as far as behaviors (sit, down, stay, etc.). I know it's just going to take time and I have to be willing to put the time in with Harley. I was willing to put the time in with Skooter and Moped and they learned. They were out of control temperament wise but they knew their behaviors. Harley is NOT going to get out of control. I won't let it happen again with a dog of mine.

No comments:

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie
Skooter

Samantha's Prince of the Pines

Samantha's Prince of the Pines
Moped the Magnificent

Retrieve

Powered By Blogger