Bayou

Bayou
Catahoula Leopard Dog

Harley (now called Watson)

Harley (now called Watson)
Our Golden Retriever/Labrador Retriever puppy

Moped and Skooter

Moped and Skooter

Huxley and Blitz

Huxley and Blitz
hiking the Garden of the Gods
Everything you ever wanted to know about Skooter and Moped but were afraid to ask!
Want your dog to be a part of the Dog Blog? Email your picture(s) and the dog's story to internettie1960@gmail.com

A Tribute To Tabby (7/93 - 4/08)


Friday, August 14, 2009

First DVD down

Well, we watched the first DVD and I have to be honest and say that I'm not sure I understand what to do with Harley to be successful. I get that he needs exercise (the walk), discipline and then affection but I'm not sure about how to discipline him. I don't want to do this wrong and end up with an unbalanced dog. I also understand that I need to treat Harley as an animal, a dog not a human. I will do him no good treating him as a little kid. He's a dog and needs to be treated as such. I'm hoping that as we watch the next two DVD's it will become more clear what I need to do. I guess I'll start by walking him before he eats so he's working for his food and is calm and submissive before he gets to eat and drink.

One behavior he has that worries me is that he chases and bites his own tail. I saw an episode of The Dog Whisperer where a dog did that obsessively. It wasn't pretty. Harley's chasing his tail right now. I know it's probably just him being a puppy and playing but I don't want things getting by me like they did with the GSP's. I allowed them to become unbalanced dogs. I didn't exercise them at all and I sure didn't discipline them. I'll have to do some research on this tail chasing thing and see what I can find on it.

No comments:

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie
Skooter

Samantha's Prince of the Pines

Samantha's Prince of the Pines
Moped the Magnificent

Retrieve

Powered By Blogger