Bayou

Bayou
Catahoula Leopard Dog

Harley (now called Watson)

Harley (now called Watson)
Our Golden Retriever/Labrador Retriever puppy

Moped and Skooter

Moped and Skooter

Huxley and Blitz

Huxley and Blitz
hiking the Garden of the Gods
Everything you ever wanted to know about Skooter and Moped but were afraid to ask!
Want your dog to be a part of the Dog Blog? Email your picture(s) and the dog's story to internettie1960@gmail.com

A Tribute To Tabby (7/93 - 4/08)


Saturday, August 29, 2009

What a great day

Harley is in his kennel since we just ate dinner. He barked a little when I first put him in there but he settled down pretty quickly. We had a good day today. We went out for a ride this morning. Harley does really well on our rides. He's definitely getting bigger though - I had to have David adjust the tie down to give him more room. He could barely turn around anymore. I can't believe how big he is getting. He changes every day. On the way home we stopped at the natural pet market and picked up a bag of the Eagle Pack Holistic Select Large Breed Puppy food (whew that was a mouthful). It was a 33 pound bag. I also got a 4 foot black leash so I can keep one in the car. I didn't bring my bag today and didn't have his leash to let him out. No accidents though.

Later in the afternoon we all took a nap. It was very nice. I woke up to a thunderstorm. Harley had to go out and I was afraid he wouldn't go out in the rain but he did. I don't want him to be afraid of rain or snow. Later in the afternoon (or early evening?) I took him out for a walk to the mailbox. There was a package waiting for us. It was Harley's Everlasting Treat Ball, Zukes Peanut Butter treats and some doggy shampoo. He enjoyed the treat ball. He did okay on the walk. On the way back he started going after my shoelaces. I'm going to have to spray them with some Phooey (it's like bitter apple stuff only stronger). He also wanted to run home which I wasn't able to do. I went as fast as I could though but it wasn't fast enough for him. It was good to get him out for a walk.

Dinner is over and Harley can come out of his kennel. Oh yeah, I did some click/treat training with him earlier. We worked on sit, down, up (where he jumps up) and touch my hand. He's doing really well with all the behaviors.

I just took a few minutes and did some click/treat with him again. I used the new peanut butter Zukes treats. He likes them. He's laying down now, chilling out. Something I was thinking about earlier is that I love that there are times I don't even know he's there. What I mean by that is that I don't have to be watching him every second of the day. It's a much more relaxing way to have a dog.

I counted up his toys and Kongs and he has 13! (so far) I'm glad I have a lot of things for him to chew on and play with though because he's not chewing on other stuff like shoes and furniture. I know that might happen at some point but I'm thinking that if I direct him to his toys when he wants to chew he'll do that instead of chewing on things I don't want him to chew on. It's just such a different experience having Harley than it was having the GSP's. At least he settles down. His bursts of energy aren't that difficult to deal with either.

Well, tomorrow is puppy class again. I'm really looking forward to seeing how he acts this time. I think that he'll get right out there. I want him to be around other dogs and other people. I think it's hard for people to always get there so I'm not sure how many dogs there will be this time but even if there's just one other dog, I'll be happy.

No comments:

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie
Skooter

Samantha's Prince of the Pines

Samantha's Prince of the Pines
Moped the Magnificent

Retrieve

Powered By Blogger