Bayou

Bayou
Catahoula Leopard Dog

Harley (now called Watson)

Harley (now called Watson)
Our Golden Retriever/Labrador Retriever puppy

Moped and Skooter

Moped and Skooter

Huxley and Blitz

Huxley and Blitz
hiking the Garden of the Gods
Everything you ever wanted to know about Skooter and Moped but were afraid to ask!
Want your dog to be a part of the Dog Blog? Email your picture(s) and the dog's story to internettie1960@gmail.com

A Tribute To Tabby (7/93 - 4/08)


Sunday, August 23, 2009

First puppy class


This is what puppy class did to Harley. LOL

We got to class early and I filled out the paperwork. I didn't think that she might not take the debit card but she didn't. So I have to pay her next week (although I'll probably try to take care of it tomorrow or Tuesday). And we only had $4 for the $5 clicker. So I owe her $106. Harley was the first puppy there and he was shy. He stayed near me or under my chair for some of the class. The first thing we did was let all the puppies get to know each other. Harley kept back for the most part. After play time we started working on clicker training for sit, down, and touching the dogs so they won't be afraid when people touch them. There were two kids there which was great. Harley was great with the kids. Of course he grew up with two wonderful little girls and so I'm not surprised that he did well with them.

One of the things we are doing is not using words to get them to do behaviors. We're using the treats to lure them into position, then we click the clicker and then treat them. Harley seemed to get what we were doing. He actually figured out down. Most of the time the other people there were click/treating him so he'd do behaviors for anyone. And everyone was able to touch him without any problems. There is one dog in the class, Star (a heeler/beagle mix) that is hand shy, but she sure did well with everyone once she figured out the treats were coming. They all did well once they figured out the treats were coming.

Another thing we are doing is not using the word "come" when we want them to come to us. We are using their names instead and then really treating them after we click. Harley was used for the example and got a boatload of treats. He liked that. There were 6 puppies in the class which seemed like just the perfect amount. They all got along together. After Harley got over his shyness he played like it was nobody's business. He seemed to favor a few of the dogs, the more submissive or smaller ones, but he did play with every puppy at some point.

We were there for over an hour and a half. I was very pleased that we got extra time. I can see that Harley is going to learn a lot in this school. So, this is our homework:

1. bring them out to as many places as possible to socialize them and get them used to different situations and distractions (PetsMart, PetCo, Moochie Poochie, groomer, etc.). No dog parks though.
2. practice click/treat with sit, down, come and touching them (the ears, the tail, the feet, the mouth, the collar, etc.); do each behavior 5 times
3. work with him every day
4. don't use words; lure him into position then click/treat
5. remember to call "Harley" when I want him to come to me
6. don't force them into position

Overall, puppy class was a hoot and very educational. David and I both had a great time. I'm already anxious for next Sunday. We do need to get louder clickers though. The one I picked is very quiet. I want a louder clicker. I'll try to trade it out next week. David seems really happy about doing the training. He wants his own clicker. Very cool.

Harley is still napping. He seems worn out. I need to provide a lot of stimulation for him every day so he'll get all of his energy played out. I'm really proud of him and I'm glad he finally came out of his shell. I think next week he won't be as shy.

I may run over to PetCo or PetsMart to look for another clicker. Otherwise I'll get another one from Christine (she's the trainer by the way). I think I'll get one so David will have one for this week's training sessions. That way we can both work with him whenever we want to work with him.

I think I'm tired from puppy class too. lol It sure was a workout. I think Christine took some pictures so I'll ask her for a copy of them. I'd like a picture of him from his first class. I was so busy that I never thought to take a picture of him. I have it all stored away in my memory though and that's what's important.

Christine was amazing. She is an excellent teacher and trainer. We learned so much in such a short amount of time. I look forward to working with her. Harley likes her so she must be okay. ;)

No comments:

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie
Skooter

Samantha's Prince of the Pines

Samantha's Prince of the Pines
Moped the Magnificent

Retrieve

Powered By Blogger