Bayou

Bayou
Catahoula Leopard Dog

Harley (now called Watson)

Harley (now called Watson)
Our Golden Retriever/Labrador Retriever puppy

Moped and Skooter

Moped and Skooter

Huxley and Blitz

Huxley and Blitz
hiking the Garden of the Gods
Everything you ever wanted to know about Skooter and Moped but were afraid to ask!
Want your dog to be a part of the Dog Blog? Email your picture(s) and the dog's story to internettie1960@gmail.com

A Tribute To Tabby (7/93 - 4/08)


Saturday, August 15, 2009

Confusion

We watched the last two DVD's in the Leadership Series from Cesar Millan. I honestly don't really get what he does to make the dog behave. I understand the concept but I just don't get how to implement it with Harley. He's only ten weeks old and I'm not sure what's okay for him to do (or normal puppy behavior) and what's not. I've tried doing the mother dog bite thing but Harely doesn't seem to respond to it. He's not doing a lot of bad behaviors or anything but I just don't want him jumping on me or biting me (which he does at least twice during the day when he gets some energy built up). He's been walked 3 times today. He's sleeping right now (which he does most of the day) but when he gets those bursts of energy he can get kind of hyper. Thankfully it doesn't last right now but I'm afraid it will once he gets older.

I don't know how much to discipline him either. What's appropriate for a 10 week old puppy? I don't think I've ever seen a Dog Whisperer episode where Cesar was working with a puppy (I'm sure there is one, I just haven't seen it). He has online sessions but I don't know that they would provide much more information than the three DVD's have provided. I guess I'm more comfortable with typical dog obedience training than I am with dog psychology. I really want Harley to be well behaved when he gets older. He's going to be a big dog and I don't want him to be unruly or hard to control. Maybe I'm just thinking too much about it. I had such different experiences with the GSP's. I don't want to end up like that again.

I've been checking information online and EVERYONE has their opinion on how to train a puppy. There's not tons of agreement on what to do and how to do it. I know that consistency and persistence is required and I'm willing to do that once I know what to do. I'm going to continue my research to see if I can find some consensus on training a puppy. I want to give Harley the best start that I can.

No comments:

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie
Skooter

Samantha's Prince of the Pines

Samantha's Prince of the Pines
Moped the Magnificent

Retrieve

Powered By Blogger