Bayou

Bayou
Catahoula Leopard Dog

Harley (now called Watson)

Harley (now called Watson)
Our Golden Retriever/Labrador Retriever puppy

Moped and Skooter

Moped and Skooter

Huxley and Blitz

Huxley and Blitz
hiking the Garden of the Gods
Everything you ever wanted to know about Skooter and Moped but were afraid to ask!
Want your dog to be a part of the Dog Blog? Email your picture(s) and the dog's story to internettie1960@gmail.com

A Tribute To Tabby (7/93 - 4/08)


Saturday, August 29, 2009

We're just talking minutes here...

Well it's the end of another day. Actually it's the beginning of the next day. LOL It's 12:30am and I'm still up. David is in bed and Harley is in his kennel. He's so good about going to bed at night. I feel truly blessed to have him in my life. Earlier though he went on a rampage running back and forth and then he bit my arm. The little bugger really hurt me this time. He seriously chomped down on me. I'm going to have to start really working on bite inhibition with him. I'm hoping that having him around other dogs will help with that too (puppy class). He needs to be knocked down a peg or two in the biting/nipping department. Overall though he is quite a wonderful puppy. He misbehaves maybe 10 - 15 minutes per day and that's about it. If I can just get those minutes under control we'll all be doing a lot better (and my arm won't look so mangled :-/ ).

Tomorrow I need to go and pick up a bag of the new dog food. He seems to really like it. There is a frequent buyer program at the natural pet market but I'm not sure of the specifics. I'll find out tomorrow when I pay my $50+ for a huge bag of food!

We've decided not to go to the parade in the morning. They are expecting tens of thousands of people. The parking will be atrocious and that will be way too many people for Harley to be around at one time. I don't want to traumatize him (or me either for that matter!). I'll probably end up bringing him to PetsMart again so he can get more socialization in. They'll probably have the pet adoption fair there so I'll have to be careful about not letting him get near the other dogs. He enjoys going to PetsMart. I thought he'd be afraid of the sliding doors but they dont' seem to bother him. Maybe it's because he's used to our sliding door.

I've got to put in more time walking Harley. He's still crossing over in front of me and going around me. I have difficulty keeping him to my left side. I know he's still young but he's smart too. Oh, and grabbing the leash, I need to stop that behavior too. He's not terrible about it but it's not something I want him doing.

I thought more about his behavior today and I realize that the jumping up has to stop. He's going to end up biting or clawing someone and that won't be a good thing. I want to socialize him but I also dont' want to have anyone get hurt because he can't control himself. He gets so excited when people meet him. And a lot of the time people get all excited meeting him and he feeds off of that energy. When people are calm, he stays calm. When they get all whipped into a frenzy, so does he. I'm going to have to warn people that he'll jump up before he tries to do it. I want him to be under control and well behaved.

Guess I'll go join the guys in the bedroom and go to sleep. I'm getting kind of tired anyway. And it will be up again in the morning with another day with Harley.

No comments:

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie
Skooter

Samantha's Prince of the Pines

Samantha's Prince of the Pines
Moped the Magnificent

Retrieve

Powered By Blogger