Bayou

Bayou
Catahoula Leopard Dog

Harley (now called Watson)

Harley (now called Watson)
Our Golden Retriever/Labrador Retriever puppy

Moped and Skooter

Moped and Skooter

Huxley and Blitz

Huxley and Blitz
hiking the Garden of the Gods
Everything you ever wanted to know about Skooter and Moped but were afraid to ask!
Want your dog to be a part of the Dog Blog? Email your picture(s) and the dog's story to internettie1960@gmail.com

A Tribute To Tabby (7/93 - 4/08)


Sunday, August 16, 2009

Training

I talked to David and asked him what I might be doing that is giving Harley the impression that all of a sudden he is in charge. David thinks it's because I've been letting him stay out of his kennel all day instead of containing him for a portion of the day. I think he needs to work to come out of his kennel instead of just being allowed out all day without working for it. I need to walk him every day, a few times a day. His next walk will be before lunch. I think I'll take him around the cul de sac twice so he gets more exercise. I'd walk him in the neighborhood but I don't want to run into any other dogs since he's only had his first shots.

I sent an email to ABRT asking about puppy training. They said that Harley could start training now with the shots that he has received. I just don't know if I want to pay for training again. I'm not sure that I couldn't just do the training myself. I could check out videos on youtube and kind of use that as the basis of my training. He's smart so I know he'll be able to learn whatever I want to teach him. It's his wanting to run the show that is the issue. He just wants to be pack leader although he would be better off being a follower. I need to let him know that he has to do what I want him to do and I'm not going to accept anything less than that.

The situation with Harley is making me think a lot about Moped. He is a smart dog too but was able to get one over on me and run the show. It's the same issues with chewing, biting and not listening to direction that I'm having with Harley. I want to be the pack leader from this moment forward. I can't let Harley tell me what to do. I need to get him on a routine that I schedule. I need to day when things will happen. I also need to spend more time with him doing obedience and behaviors training (sit, down, stay, etc.).

No comments:

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie
Skooter

Samantha's Prince of the Pines

Samantha's Prince of the Pines
Moped the Magnificent

Retrieve

Powered By Blogger