Bayou

Bayou
Catahoula Leopard Dog

Harley (now called Watson)

Harley (now called Watson)
Our Golden Retriever/Labrador Retriever puppy

Moped and Skooter

Moped and Skooter

Huxley and Blitz

Huxley and Blitz
hiking the Garden of the Gods
Everything you ever wanted to know about Skooter and Moped but were afraid to ask!
Want your dog to be a part of the Dog Blog? Email your picture(s) and the dog's story to internettie1960@gmail.com

A Tribute To Tabby (7/93 - 4/08)


Friday, August 7, 2009

JRT

I sent an email to a lady about a Jack Russell Terrier that is a four year old male. He was a show dog and has had lots of training. He's a beautiful smooth coat boy. I'm hoping that David and I could see him sometime tomorrow. I have my doubts about a JRT being the dog for me but I'm willing to give him a chance. I did a lot of research on JRT's, their history, temperament, traits, etc. It was interesting to learn so much about them. I sent the owner another email with my number so she can call me and we can set up a time to see the dog.

The closer I get to the realilty of having a dog again, the more I take a step back and evaluate the situation. I don't know that a JRT would be a good match for me/us but I still think I can learn from the experience of considering a JRT. Learning what I DON'T want is as important as learning what I do want. Since I don't have a lot of experiences to look back on I have to learn from current situations.

I know the easiest thing to do would be to NOT get a dog. Would I really take a dog for a walk twice a day? Would I clean up the yard EVERY day? Would I have the energy and inclination to do obedience training every day? Lots of questions I have to answer before I decide to get a dog. I am going to look tomorrow though. There are SIX adoption fairs around town from 11am - 3pm. I'm not sure we'll get to all of them or if we'll even need to get to all of them but I'm up for the challenge.

I can't expect a dog to change my life. My life is what it is. I'm a low activity person and I need a dog that would gel with that type of life. I do want a dog to walk with me but I also want him to be mellow when he's home. I'm still thinking that a labrador/golden retriever mix would be awesome. It's a big dog, but a mellow dog. As long as I can keep up with the yard I'd be okay.

But will I keep up with the yard? I think I will but I've never done it before. I've let it go for weeks and then had a guy come and clean it up for me. I don't have the money to do that now and I also don't want poop being out there for a week. I need to pick up poop every time the dog goes to the bathroom. It has to be a daily chore for this to work. I just need to get into a routine.

Truth be told, I'm scared. Getting a dog is a big commitment. I have to give 100% to a dog. Life would change for me again. Am I ready for that? Do I want that? I don't want an adorable face to sway me. I feel that I can stand strong and say 'no' to any dog I have issues with. That's what makes now different from then. I know in my brain and in my heart that it's okay to say 'no'. I know there is no rush to get a dog, if I get a dog at all. But tomorrow I'm not going to let all this ruin the fun of checking out dogs. That's something I would do whether or not I wanted a dog.

I'm going to do some more research on what it takes to be ready to take in a new dog, whether it's a puppy or an older dog. Being informed is very helpful.

No comments:

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie
Skooter

Samantha's Prince of the Pines

Samantha's Prince of the Pines
Moped the Magnificent

Retrieve

Powered By Blogger