Bayou

Bayou
Catahoula Leopard Dog

Harley (now called Watson)

Harley (now called Watson)
Our Golden Retriever/Labrador Retriever puppy

Moped and Skooter

Moped and Skooter

Huxley and Blitz

Huxley and Blitz
hiking the Garden of the Gods
Everything you ever wanted to know about Skooter and Moped but were afraid to ask!
Want your dog to be a part of the Dog Blog? Email your picture(s) and the dog's story to internettie1960@gmail.com

A Tribute To Tabby (7/93 - 4/08)


Sunday, August 30, 2009

Bite inhibition

I just spent quite a bit of time working with Harley. I'm thinking that I might hand feed him for a while until he gets that he can't bite so hard. We did leave it but he kind of snaps when he goes to get the piece of kibble or treat. I know that he knows how to inhibit his bite. I can feel it when he has a soft mouth. If he's going to be a therapy dog or a retrieving dog he's going to have to learn to inhibit his bite. In the book by Ian Dunbar he says that the best place for him to learn bite inhibition is in puppy class. I'm hoping that is true. He got better with the biting as we went along with leave it tonight. So, maybe hand feeding him for a while would be a good idea. I'll have to ask Christine what her opinion is of hand feeding.

Harley is in the kitchen again laying on the floor. He's had quite a busy day today. Because I worked with him so late tonight I'm going to have to make sure he poops before he goes to bed. I'm thinking again about taking him up to Palmer Park with me. I need him to be around other dogs and other people. Right now he's only getting about 2 hours of socialization a week. I think he needs more than that. My only concern is another dog attacking him. I don't want him to be traumatized. I'll have to pray about this and see what comes of my prayers.

The only other thing that I still don't know how to control is Harley biting my clothes and hanging on. I guess I should try Ian Dunbar's approach which is calling Harley a bully when he does that to me. I try to ignore him but he just bites harder and pulls even more. I try to walk away from him but it's hard to do when he is attached to me. lol I just want him to be a well behaved dog.

Even though we're having some issues, he's still the greatest puppy in the world.

No comments:

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie
Skooter

Samantha's Prince of the Pines

Samantha's Prince of the Pines
Moped the Magnificent

Retrieve

Powered By Blogger