Bayou

Bayou
Catahoula Leopard Dog

Harley (now called Watson)

Harley (now called Watson)
Our Golden Retriever/Labrador Retriever puppy

Moped and Skooter

Moped and Skooter

Huxley and Blitz

Huxley and Blitz
hiking the Garden of the Gods
Everything you ever wanted to know about Skooter and Moped but were afraid to ask!
Want your dog to be a part of the Dog Blog? Email your picture(s) and the dog's story to internettie1960@gmail.com

A Tribute To Tabby (7/93 - 4/08)


Thursday, August 6, 2009

Putting the brakes on this runaway train

I've decided not to go see the Mauzer puppy. A toy breed just wouldn't work for me. I want a real dog. I've also decided not to go to the Humane Society tomorrow. It's too difficult to tell what temperament the dog has and how he/she reacts when they only let you visit with them in a tiny room. I need to know how a dog will behave on a leash. That's critical for me. I'm not in any rush and know I don't have to make any decisions until I'm ready. I won't get a dog just to get a dog. I will make sure that it's the absolute right fit for me (which means I may not get a dog at all). We're still going to visit the adoption fairs on Saturday though. If nothing else, it will be fun to see all the dogs. An older dog, one that has already proven itself may be a better choice than a younger dog who needs lots of training. So anyway, I'm putting the brakes on this runaway train and slowing down to give myself time to think. There is no rush for me to get a dog. I've gone this long without a dog and I've been okay. Waiting days, weeks or months would be fine. I have to make sure I am really ready for a dog before I get one. I have to make a 100% commitment and I have to not let myself get into the thinking that the dog would be better off with someone else. Really I'm just missing Huxley and Blitz. I sure would like to have them back. They were good dogs for me and my lifestyle. Oh well, what's done is done.

I realize that I want a dog that can be a therapy dog for me. I did some research on PSD's (Psychiatric Servie Dogs) and found that people with my issues (major depression, PTSD, BPD) can greatly benefit from having a dog. But not just any dog. It has to be a thoughtful, intelligent, mellow dog. A dog that is chaotic would just make things worse for me. I need a dog that will add peace and calm to my life, not chaos. So again, that may mean no dog at all. I'd like to get a PSD but they are incredibly expensive (like over $10k!). I understand the cost because of all the specialized training but I obviously don't have that kind of money to put into a dog.

As far as breeds that I'm interested in, I think a labrador (black, chocolate or yellow) would be a good pick. But it's not just the breed, it's the individual dog and it's temperament and personality. I also have been doing research on how to pick out a good dog. It's not that easy but I have picked up a few hints. I'm going to do more research and see what I can find on testing a dog for temperament and personality. I'll take advantage of all the resources that are out there.

Off to do some research.

No comments:

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie
Skooter

Samantha's Prince of the Pines

Samantha's Prince of the Pines
Moped the Magnificent

Retrieve

Powered By Blogger