Bayou

Bayou
Catahoula Leopard Dog

Harley (now called Watson)

Harley (now called Watson)
Our Golden Retriever/Labrador Retriever puppy

Moped and Skooter

Moped and Skooter

Huxley and Blitz

Huxley and Blitz
hiking the Garden of the Gods
Everything you ever wanted to know about Skooter and Moped but were afraid to ask!
Want your dog to be a part of the Dog Blog? Email your picture(s) and the dog's story to internettie1960@gmail.com

A Tribute To Tabby (7/93 - 4/08)


Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Night moves

I'm still waking up in the middle of the night and having to get up for a while. I was so used to doing that with the dogs. I'd hear Moped scratching on his kennel or either of them whining. I'd have to get up to let them go out. Sometimes Skooter didn't want outside he just wanted out of the kennel. Moped first needed to go outside, then he wanted to stay out of his kennel to play once he came back in. Skooter would inevitably get up on the couch and settle in for the night, forgetting that he had to go back in his kennel. There were many nights that I stayed out on the couch with Skooter just so he could stay out of his kennel. Moped was just too wild to stay out of his kennel. When he came in he was like lighning flashing around the house grabbing my underwear or the tv remote and trying to play keep away. I usually traded him for a more appropriate toy, but he still wanted to play keep away, so we did. He was just tring to run off some of the pent up energy he had from being in his kennel all day.

I hope that Moped is out of his kennel the majority of the time during the day. It would be nice if he could be taught to sleep outside of the kennel too, but I don't think he's quite ready for that yet. But I don't really know because he's not my dog anymore. He won't survive unless he gets lots of exercise - walks, romps, playing in the house, playing in the yard, more walks, more romps, etc. He's a GSP. They are not like other breeds. And especially a dog like Moped who has championship hunting lines in his blood. He's got to get tons of energy out in appropriate ways or he'll have issues. I hope his new family understands that.

And Skooter's new family will have to exercise him too, but not to the degree that Moped needs exercise. Skooter is happy to lay down (on the couch if he's allowed) and relax, something Moped just couldn't do. Skoots likes to lay around or sit in your lap, if you'll let him and take a nap. Even though he has tons of energy to get out, he's still fairly lazy. :-) Skoots will do great playing in the back yard and going for walks. He'll need an occaissional romp in a field so he can chase rabbits and butterflies. Sometimes Skoots just needs to run and explore. But he knows where his home is. He's a smart dog. Actually he's a brilliant dog.

I still feel guilty about doing the so-called training with Bark Busters. It was a horrible experience for Skooter. I think it made him fearful and very cautious of new people. I wouldn't want anyone to think that he is that way because of anything we purposely did to him. We were always loving with him and kind. We were just misguided for a couple of weeks on inappropriate training techniques. But Skoots did pay for our ignorance. Thankfully he seems to have mostly recovered from the ordeal.

His new family will have to be gentle and patient with Skooter. He can be obstinate. They need to establish dominance immediately or Skooter will walk all over them in his funny, loving, pig-headed way. :-) They would be best served to keep him in line.

I guess I'm hoping that the new families will read the Dog Blog to get a better understanding of Skooter and Moped. So much of what I write is to them. But this blog has been a way for me to process my thoughts and feelings about having the dogs, surrendering the dogs and letting the dogs go. I've needed this blog desperately. I don't think I could have processed these events without the Dog Blog being there for me. It is the place where I can think, I can laugh, I can cry and it's a place where I can love.

And that is what I am left with regarding my former dogs - all the love that we shared! The love will carry me through.

Now I think it is time to go back to bed. Sweet dreams to my puppies. Your mommy loves you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've noticed your negative comments regarding Bark Busters training method in several of your posts. Was the problem actually Bark Busters? Or, was the problem your inability to understand canine psychology, communication, and education? After all, they have trained over 350,000 dogs successfully...and, look at their website and the thousands of testimonials indicating how impressive their trainers and results have been for dog owners all over the US.
My neighbor has a GSP...they used Bark Busters and their dog has been AMAZING ever since. He says the method is absolutely not based on intimidation or fear, and that in fact the method is based on a very humane, non-physical verbal correction, then LOTS of guidance and praise.
I wonder why your experience was different?...

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie
Skooter

Samantha's Prince of the Pines

Samantha's Prince of the Pines
Moped the Magnificent

Retrieve

Powered By Blogger