Bayou

Bayou
Catahoula Leopard Dog

Harley (now called Watson)

Harley (now called Watson)
Our Golden Retriever/Labrador Retriever puppy

Moped and Skooter

Moped and Skooter

Huxley and Blitz

Huxley and Blitz
hiking the Garden of the Gods
Everything you ever wanted to know about Skooter and Moped but were afraid to ask!
Want your dog to be a part of the Dog Blog? Email your picture(s) and the dog's story to internettie1960@gmail.com

A Tribute To Tabby (7/93 - 4/08)


Thursday, March 15, 2007

Another dog? Maybe

It's 4:30am, so I don't want to be held to anything I say right now. I want to get a puppy. A toy fox terrier puppy. I need to have a dog. I need something to take care of each day. It has to be different than it was with Moped and Skooter though. It has to be a dog that doesn't cause me a lot of stress but adds to my life on a daily basis. I know I'd have to get through the puppy phase again (potty training, socialization, car rides, leash walks, etc.) but I know I can do that. I know it doesn't last forever. What would be different is that I'd have a dog that didn't require a large yard and wouldn't require a whole lot of exercise, beyond a daily walk. It feels like cheating to get a dog that isn't Skooter, but I'm miserable without a dog. I'd like another shot at it. I'd go into this knowing a lot more about what I need to do, from the start.

The question is: Can I be a good dog owner? Can I love another dog while still missing Skooter? I am getting another dog too quickly? What about the cats enjoying not having a dog around? Can I get attached to another dog? I think I can be a much better owner this time around because of all the knowledge I have going into it. I believe I can love another dog while still missing Skooter. I'll always miss Skooter. Nothing will change that. Is it too soon? No, I know what I'm getting myself into. I think that because it's a toy and will be raised with the cats they will get along just fine. I can get attached to another dog. I won't ever forget the love I have for Skooter and Moped, but there is room in my heart for one more.

So, after serious consideration, I'm going to explore the possibility of getting a TFT puppy. It looks like it would be a good breed for us at this stage in our lives. It's still scary to think of getting another dog (will I feel stressed again? will things work out differently this time? can we offer a dog an adequate, appropriate home?) but I know I'm ready to explore the possibility. It makes me happy inside just to think of it.

No comments:

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie
Skooter

Samantha's Prince of the Pines

Samantha's Prince of the Pines
Moped the Magnificent

Retrieve

Powered By Blogger