Bayou

Bayou
Catahoula Leopard Dog

Harley (now called Watson)

Harley (now called Watson)
Our Golden Retriever/Labrador Retriever puppy

Moped and Skooter

Moped and Skooter

Huxley and Blitz

Huxley and Blitz
hiking the Garden of the Gods
Everything you ever wanted to know about Skooter and Moped but were afraid to ask!
Want your dog to be a part of the Dog Blog? Email your picture(s) and the dog's story to internettie1960@gmail.com

A Tribute To Tabby (7/93 - 4/08)


Thursday, March 22, 2007

This truly touched my heart

This is a message I received from a forum that I just started posting on again. It is quite touching and made me cry. With permission, I share it with you.

-------------------------

Hi Nettie - You wont know me as I rarely post but I remember you well and it's nice to see you back!


I have been reading your Dog Blog and thought you might be interested in my story, which is similar to yours but with a different ending. Some years ago, we too had GSPs - two bitches, Freya and Elsa and a dog, Max. All were different in temperament but all were scatty as you know GSPs to be. Unfortunately, as he grew up, it became apparent that Max’s temperament was suspect – he was highly strung and aggressive towards other dogs and he became too much for us to handle. We had two opportunities to let him go to a more suitable home. Freya had a litter of 10 puppies – well that’s another story – and we had to find homes for three, two that we couldn’t sell and one that was returned to us as his owner couldn’t cope with him. GSP Rescue took the first two and the third went to the RAF to be trained as a sniffer dog – again another story. The RAF were keen to take Max as well and we agreed as we knew he would have a good and fulfilling life and his temperament would be channeled in the right way. However, on the day they came to collect the dogs, I couldn’t let him go. GSP Rescue also offered to find him another home but I felt I would be betraying him, which was so shortsighted with hindsight.

The upshot was that we went on to have many years of misery with Max, much as we loved him. We could never let him off the lead if other dogs were about. He would cry with frustration as the girls ran free. We couldn’t take the girls out on their own as he would howl the place down if he was left behind. He would whine and bark constantly in the house or in the car so going out with or without him was traumatic. We all suffered – us, Freya and Elsa, the neighbours and most of all Max. How many times I regretted not letting him go when we had the chance, not just for our sakes but for his.

I so admire you for your bravery in doing the right thing for your dogs. I know how hard it must have been but I will always regret being too selfish and shortsighted to do what you did. We have never had another dog since our three passed away, all within a few years of each other. Once you have owned a GSP, no other breed will do but we could not chance the possibility of getting another Max. I am thinking of you as your grieve for Skooter and Moped and I hope that things start to get easier for you soon. Keep strong in the knowledge that you have absolutely done the right thing.

Julia

----------------------------------

And this is my response to Julia's heartfelt message:

---------------------------------

Dear Julia,

Your PM means the world to me and has brought tears to my eyes. It is so comforting to know I am not alone in this. I am sorry about what happened with Max. As you know, I really do understand. It's so hard to do the right thing because it hurts so much. But I know, deep in my heart, that keeping the dogs, being selfish, would just turn out to be a disaster. As much as I ache for them, I remind myself what wonderful lives they will have in thier new homes and somehow I get through this. I really do appreciate hearing your story. It has made today a whole lot easier to deal with. I thank you for sharing it with me.

Would you be okay with me adding your story to my blog? I really feel that it should be part of what happened in my day today. It has really impacted me greatly. If you don't want your story shared I will understand and will refer to it only in generic terms.

Thank you for remembering me and for thinking of me now. I know it takes time to read the blog and I appreciate you taking the time to read it and appreciate even more the time you took to respond. I hope in some way you can be helped by my story, if by nothing other than knowing that you are not alone. I treasure you.

Nettie

-------------------------------
I can't even begin to convey the feelings of gratitude I feel for Julia sharing her story with me and now you, too. I am humbled.

No comments:

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie
Skooter

Samantha's Prince of the Pines

Samantha's Prince of the Pines
Moped the Magnificent

Retrieve

Powered By Blogger