Bayou

Bayou
Catahoula Leopard Dog

Harley (now called Watson)

Harley (now called Watson)
Our Golden Retriever/Labrador Retriever puppy

Moped and Skooter

Moped and Skooter

Huxley and Blitz

Huxley and Blitz
hiking the Garden of the Gods
Everything you ever wanted to know about Skooter and Moped but were afraid to ask!
Want your dog to be a part of the Dog Blog? Email your picture(s) and the dog's story to internettie1960@gmail.com

A Tribute To Tabby (7/93 - 4/08)


Thursday, March 15, 2007

It was just a dream

I woke up feeling very sad. I had a dream that we gave Skooter to a shelter or he was lost and ended up at a shelter. We went to the shelter to get him. We brought him home. Within days I realized that the dog was not Skooter. He had different markings. I started crying for Skooter. I told everyone in my dream that I had the wrong dog, it wasn't Skooter! I cried and cried. I went to the shelter to return the wrong dog and get Skooter back but alarmingly they didn't have Skooter and didn't know where he was. I panicked. I had to have Skooter back. I was so sad that I couldn't find Skooter. David got another dog to replace Skooter but it just made me cry harder for Skooter. David meant well but I missed my Skooter. I longed for Skooter. Then I woke up feeling like I was going to cry and feeling panicked. I woke David up and told him about the dream. He said it was just a dream. But I think it's another telling dream.

We have given Skooter away, we have lost him. The other dog that I brought home refers to the puppy we are thinking of getting. It won't be Skooter. It might feel good at first but then I'll reallize that it's not Skooter and still miss Skooter. I think that the dog that David brings home refers to him asking me last night to think about getting a puppy. I felt like he was trying to replace Skooter.

When I was up earlier this morning I sent out an email to a dog breeder and then spent time surfing online re: TFT's, her site and another woman's site. Here's the response to the email that I sent:

My friend is an UKC judge...here is her info....
Dr. Marsha L. Shively
Shively's Livelies' TFTs
tftshively@aol.com
www.toy-fox-terrier.net


----- Original Message -----
From: Samantha WAGONER
To: Barb
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2007 5:46 AM
Subject: Re: puppy - additional questions

Additional questions regarding your upcoming litters:

- How long have you had the breed in question?
We started with the Breed in 1999...
- Why do you have the breed in question (show, performance, hunting, etc.)?
Started with the breed for just a pet...fell in love and decided to start showing and breeding...can not do performance due to health reasons...dog would lose due to handler err...hahaha...
- What do you consider to be the most important single characteristic of an example of this breed?
Attitude...these little guys take on the personality of the household and are little clowns...don't need a TV can just watch the dogs...
- What health issues have you seen in the breed?
The only health issue we have come accross is patella luxation but we do test our dogs for patella luxation, CHG, Heart, CERF....Patella Luxation is common for Toy dogs...if we get one that has it we neuter/spay and place in a pet home with restrictions...the new owner is informed that they may need surgery down the road...
- What criteria do you set for your breeding stock?
No health issues...Champions in Conformation...in both AKC and UKC...meets the standard for both AKC and UKC except weight...Weight for UKC is 3 - 7 lbs and I have a couple that are 8 lbs...but feel this is close enough when I breed with a 3.5 lb male...pups are usually well within the limits...show the females that look like they might out grow the standard before the weight becomes an issue to get the finished...
- Do you plan to keep a puppy from this litter?
I try to keep a pup from each litter or the most exceptional one...we have been known to keep a pup finish it then place it in a home that we can use for breeding or neuter/spay it and put it in a pet home...
- How often do you have puppies?
we are still developing our line and have pups from each female within breeding age once a year or we will do a back to back breeding and give the mom a year off...
- Do you have a written contract and puppy guarantee?
We do have a health guarantee and a written contract for both pet and show potential pups...
- At what age do you send your pups to their homes?
Puppies go to new homes at the age of 8 weeks unless we want to watch them mature and then it could be 3 - 6 months...
- How would you describe the ideal dog of this breed?
This is a hard questions because I love them all...sometimes I look at the conformation but mainly I take in the whole dog...I really can love them all...have not found a bad apple yet...even the ones that don't meet conformation make great pets and have the greatest personalities...I am honest to all my prospective buyers and do point out the flaws...had one pup that was very shy...I told everyone and explained that if she got away from the other dogs that she would flourish...well no one wanted to take the chance...finally found a young couple...they have written me and let me know that she has come out of shell and plays all the time...in my contract I ask for pictures and update for a minimum of 2 years...this gives me a chance to see how they mature and how the new parents are getting along with them...I do get some very cute pictures...

- How would you describe the ideal home for this breed?
a loving home that does not keep the dog crated all the time...a fenced yard...now these guys do not let you ignore them but I would not let them go to a home that I suspect might...they are high energy...love to play...must have lots of toys and attention...will try to manipulate you like a child...will try to get away with anything they can...I just love them to death...have not meet one that I don't like yet...
- Are your puppies whelped in your home?
Yes, we have the parents in the house...I deliver the pups...they sleep next to my bed till they are old enough to move...in fact the last litter stayed there till they went to a new home...or I should say till they were old enough to sleep with us without an accident...
- What advice would you offer someone in raising and training a dog of this breed?
Buy the Book The Toy Fox Terrier: Wired for Action by Dr. John F. Davidson, UKC/AKC Breed Judge...13400 N. Lakewood Dr. ...Dunlap, IL 61525...35 year Breeder Discusses Raising your puppy to be a great Pet, Show Dog or Performance Dog (Agility, Obedience, Therapy)...309-243-7506...johnfd@hotmail.com....
- How do you assist or help this breed when in need of rescue?
I have lived in the same place since 1979...I am here to answer any and all questions at any time...I have taken dogs back that I have breed and placed them in homes or kept them...I do have a stud dog that I feel is a rescue because he had 4 homes before he came to live with me...he was mis treated and the breeder...my friend...took him back and placed him several times before placing him with me...he could not walk or eat...I hand feed him...he would cry everytime you touched him...now he is the man of the house...he loves everyone but is real attached to me...he is my little man and produces some of the prettiest pups I have seen...he is 9 inches tall and weighs 3.5 lbs...spoiled rotten...I have no problem with rescue just do not feel that I am set up for it at this time...my daughter lives in my basement and until she moves out I don't have the added space...although I have been known to board dogs for short term...
Let me know if you have any other questions...as you can see this is my Breed and I love them to death...I LOVE to talk about them...Barb
Sam----------------------------------

http://skootersdogblog.blogspot.com A blog about Skooter and Mopedhttp://www.rockymtngsp.org Rocky Mountain GSP Rescue adoption page

"It is not a race to the finish. Enjoy the journey."

----- Original Message -----
From: Barb
To: Samantha
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2007 12:34 AM
Subject: Re: puppy

I don't have any puppies at this time but I do have 3 females that should be coming in heat soon and I will be breeding them...therefore I should have pups ready for new homes within 6 months...for Pet Quality I am asking $800 with a neuter contract...Show Potential is $1000 with a puppy back on a breeding...I do have a friend in Indiana that has male puppies available now if you are interested in them...are there any other questions you might have...Barb

No comments:

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie
Skooter

Samantha's Prince of the Pines

Samantha's Prince of the Pines
Moped the Magnificent

Retrieve

Powered By Blogger