Bayou

Bayou
Catahoula Leopard Dog

Harley (now called Watson)

Harley (now called Watson)
Our Golden Retriever/Labrador Retriever puppy

Moped and Skooter

Moped and Skooter

Huxley and Blitz

Huxley and Blitz
hiking the Garden of the Gods
Everything you ever wanted to know about Skooter and Moped but were afraid to ask!
Want your dog to be a part of the Dog Blog? Email your picture(s) and the dog's story to internettie1960@gmail.com

A Tribute To Tabby (7/93 - 4/08)


Saturday, February 24, 2007

Content boys

Raw Meaty Bones are a favorite of Skooter and Moped. They each have a brand new one and they couldn't be happier. Skooter's has a lot of meat on it so he's really getting into it.

I've switched them back to kibble. The Raw Diet was not working too well and it was becoming a lot of work. It also would be hard to get a home for them if they only ate a Raw Diet. So, back to kibble it is. They don't seem to mind.

It's at times like this that I think that the world is just perfect. When my 'boys' are content, all is right with the world. It's a peaceful feeling.

Skooter is now 21 1/2 months old. Moped was 8 months old on the 18th. It seems like I've had them both forever. They are such an integral part of my life. I surely will miss them when they get new homes. I will be happy that they have a more active, high energy home to live in. I really hope they can be placed in a home that has a much bigger yard than we have. They both need space to run.

I haven't spent much time on their training since I started feeling the pain in my chest. And it shows. Skooter is still obstinate and will only do behaviors when he feels like it. Moped is a bit more cooperative and usually sits without asking when going out and coming in. I haven't practiced 'with me' so they are not learning to walk on the leash with me. They are still strong pullers on the leash. Sometimes in class they will stay with me when walking but when they get outside they are just so anxious to explore everything that they pull on the leash. They both have a lot of potential and will do great with consistent training.

Our counselors and trainers all say that they are great dogs and will do really well with learning new behaviors. I think it will be easier for them when they are with someone new. They can start from the beginning with rules. I just let them do what they want and that isn't the best thing for them. They have always seemed to do well for other people. They know that they can get away with anything with me. They have learned to ignore me, not all the time, but when they want to.

They are both very smart dogs. Too smart. They know when I want a certain behavior and if they don't feel like listening, they just do something else (like if I tell them 'kennel' they might go in or they might go and sit down in the living room :-) ). It's interesting having dogs who are so smart.

Skooter is more sensitive than Moped. He gets anxious around new people and in new situations. Moped is a bit hesitant but will join in without too much fuss. Skooter's feelings get hurt more easily too. Moped doesn't seem bothered by anything. Skooter is the protector of the hosue. If someone or something goes by that he doesn't know, he'll growl or bark. Moped just watched Skooter when he does that. Moped doesn't seem to know that he can bark at strange things. I'm glad that neither of them is a nuisance barker. They do whine more than I'd like, but that's only when they are in their kennels too much. If they are out of their kennels more, that won't be an issue.

I think Moped will easily adjust to a new family. Skooter may be more hesitant but he's so sweet that I know whoever he is placed with will love him dearly. They will love Moped too. He's so cute.

No comments:

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie
Skooter

Samantha's Prince of the Pines

Samantha's Prince of the Pines
Moped the Magnificent

Retrieve

Powered By Blogger