Bayou

Bayou
Catahoula Leopard Dog

Harley (now called Watson)

Harley (now called Watson)
Our Golden Retriever/Labrador Retriever puppy

Moped and Skooter

Moped and Skooter

Huxley and Blitz

Huxley and Blitz
hiking the Garden of the Gods
Everything you ever wanted to know about Skooter and Moped but were afraid to ask!
Want your dog to be a part of the Dog Blog? Email your picture(s) and the dog's story to internettie1960@gmail.com

A Tribute To Tabby (7/93 - 4/08)


Saturday, February 10, 2007

Training R Us

We brought Moped to his training class. We got there late and Moped was just a bundle of energy at first. We couldn't even get him to sit. All he did was pull on the leash. And we pulled back, which the trainer kept telling us not to do. We're to call him to get him to come, not pull on the leash. Moped was so unruly that he went with the other unruly dogs into another room to practice sit with gotcha. He also had social time with the other dogs. When we went back into the big room, he seemed calmer. He was able to sit and flat. He didn't like gotcha too much. Then we went back into the smaller room again and practiced sit. He was very distracted. Then the trainer brought her dog in and let her socialize with our dogs. Moped did great with the other dogs. I think DDC helps him with that. Then it was back to class to practice some more. Moped did better as time went by, but I could see that he was getting fried by all that was being asked of him.

Moped's class is the same as Skooter's class, except we're a week behing Skooter. So I'm usually working on the next class lesson with Moped.

I didn't do any training this week and it showed. Moped couldn't do most that was asked of him. I told David that he really needs to get involved with their training. I can't do it all myself. I know that they are making progress in some areas, but I want them to be able to perform in class. I need to get them out of the house more often. I need them to be calm during training. They don't play with any of the toys that I bring and they are not interested in the treats most of the time. I'm not sure what to do.

We took Moped to DDC right after his class. He'll have lunch there and stay until after Skooter's training session. He'll enjoy being with the other dogs and getting to run around. Hopefully it will tire him out some.

Skooter does not do any requested commands unless he really wants to. He is downright obstinate. I don't know how he'll be in class today. Again, Moped's class felt chaotic, especially since we got there late. I spent all my time trying to control Moped and get him back into our cube. It was frustrating.

David's working on the door program with Skooter right now. He's not doing great. He can get to the door, but once he opens it Skooter pops up. Now they are doing With Me. Skooter did it perfectly in class, but he's having a difficult time doing it today.

There certainly is a direct correlation between how much time I put into training and how well the Saturday training session goes. Not much training equals an out of control dog who can't do any requested commands.

I just want to go to bed but I have to go to training in about 15 minutes. I need to let David take the lead with Skooter. Let him see how difficult it is to do the training.

David's outside with Skooter right now because Skooter will jump the fence if he's alone.

It's a beautiful day out today. I need to chill on this training and just be happy with the progress that the dogs do make. One week to learn a behavior is not always enough time. And then we go on to a new behavior when he hasn't even figured out the first behavior. I think I need to go back to the beginning and make sure they can do the basic stuff first. Once they really have that down, then we can go on to a new behavior. We're practicing ten different things at one time and he's not getting any of them.

Skooter is on the floor right now, belly up, playing with one of the mega plush toys that I got for them. He's having fun. I think he really enjoys the time that Moped is away. He's always happy to see him, but it gives him the break he needs.

Well it's time to go to training. I hope I can let this one go better than the last one. I take it so personally when the dogs don't do well. I feel like it's a reflection on me (which it is since I'm the primary trainer). When the;y don't do well with requested behaviors, I feel embarrassed because I know I haven't worked with them enough during the week.

Every dog gets distracted in there, but my dogs seem to be ADD distracted. They are totally off the wall. Oh well. I'll report on training when I get back home.

No comments:

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie
Skooter

Samantha's Prince of the Pines

Samantha's Prince of the Pines
Moped the Magnificent

Retrieve

Powered By Blogger