Bayou

Bayou
Catahoula Leopard Dog

Harley (now called Watson)

Harley (now called Watson)
Our Golden Retriever/Labrador Retriever puppy

Moped and Skooter

Moped and Skooter

Huxley and Blitz

Huxley and Blitz
hiking the Garden of the Gods
Everything you ever wanted to know about Skooter and Moped but were afraid to ask!
Want your dog to be a part of the Dog Blog? Email your picture(s) and the dog's story to internettie1960@gmail.com

A Tribute To Tabby (7/93 - 4/08)


Friday, February 16, 2007

Ah, would you believe...

The past two days have been a rollercoaster of activities.

I put the dogs in their kennels on Wednesday at about 12:45 pm so I could go to bible study and then to the grocery store. I did both and when I got home David told me that Skooter had had an accident in his kennel - and he had diarrhhea.

I should have come over inbetween bible study and grocery shopping to let them out. I just didn't think of it at the time.

I cleaned Skooter's kennel out with a disinfectant and let it air our for quite some time. I checked on Skooter. We was active, playing with his brother and his tail was wagging. He didn't appear to be sick. So I emailed Ruth and Kristy to get some advice.

Kristy told me to try to feed him canned pumpkin. I decided to let them fast for the evening to see if that would help.

That night I ended up going by ambulance to the ER for chest pain. Thankfully they determined that it was not heart or lung related. They said it was a chest wall muscle issue. However, during the testing they did discover that my calcium is low (a take a supplement, how is my calciuml low?), and that I'm slightly anemic. We had left the dogs home for about five hours because of this situation and I was very worried about Skooter. I hoped he didn't have another accident in his kennel. We arrived home at about 2am. Skooter had done just fine. His kennel was clean and he was happy and wagging his tail. I still slept out in the living room with him just in case he was going to need to go out frequently during the rest of the morning. He slept most of the time.

I got up Thursday morning and Skooter still seemed to be doing okay. I had already had a response from Kristy and now I had a response from Ruth to my email about advice for Skooter's diarrhea. They both had great suggestions and comments. I gave the dogs some bland hamburger and rice. As usual, Moped loved his dinner and scarfed it down. Skooter took a while to eat his but he eventually did eat most of it. We stayed in most of the night to keep an eye on Skooter.

We left the house for about 20 minutes after I received a phone call from my doctor. In addition to the anemia and low calcium, she found out that I also have low potassium. She thinks I could have a small internal bleed going on and will do an endoscopy and cononsocopy to see if there is one. So I had to go to the pharmacy to pick up a prescrition for postassium. When we got back, Skooter appeared to be just fine. Within and hour though he was vomiting his dinner. He threw up three times in about 15 minutes. Once his stomach was empty, he quit throwing up. Again, he didn't appear to be sick. He was NOT lethargic, he was walking around and wagging his tail. He even went outside for a lilttle while.

He's either detoxing pretty seriously from this raw meat diet or he got a hold of something outside on one of his expeditions and ate something he shouldn't have.

I let him sleep in his kennel last night and I slept in my bed. I got up at 4:30am this morning and let them out. Skooter appeared to be doing okay. They went back in thier kennels and I went back to bed. Around 6:30am Skooter woke me up by whining. I got up and let them out. Skooter appears to be okay. He's still having trouble going to the bathroom. Moped has slight diarrhea, but he appears to be well, wagging his tail and playing.

In the last day or so, Skooter has been showing a lot more dominance over Moped. He usually doesn't let Moped have his RMB or any toys. Skooter growls at him and snaps at him to let Moped know that he's being put in his place. And Moped has been responding by staying back from the situation. He'll lie down under the dining room table or behind by chair or anywhere near me and just watch Skooter from a distance. Skooter has been 'humpin' Moped more also.

This morning they are playing together and appear to be doing okay. Skooter is starting the dominance thing though (mostly by 'humping').

I'm afraid to feed Skooter because I don't want him getting sick again. I should have fasted them for a day before I started on the Raw Meat Diet, but I didn't think to do that. Anyway, they are on the diet now and I need to continue it.

David wants me to call the vet to have him check on Skooter. He has a history of stomach problems and I don't want to let a possibility of an obstruction go without being checked.

Because of everything that has been going on with me an Skooter, I haven't had much time to do training with them. Training classes are tomorrow and we are totally unprepared. We're still working on sit and flat, and even that is not consistently done by them. We have a private session scheduled for Monday at 5:30pm. That should help figure out what to do next and where we are going with all of this.

I feel that I need to be a bit more structured about it all so I can make sure I'm working on all the behaviors with them each day. I'm not talking about a trainer schedule, more of just a training list that I can check off each day as we do the behaviors. I'm not sure if that would work or not. I do need to be more consistent though.

And Skooter is still 'humping' Moped. What a day this will be.

I gave them a toy to share and Skooter is keeping Moped away from it (it's a plastic jug with meaty bones biscuits inside of it). Skooter growls at Moped if he gets too close. Skooter just got one of the biscuits out and is eating it. Usually Moped would be right in there looking for his share, but he's hesitant to rush in.

It'll be interesting to see what happens after Skooter eats these treats. Will he vomit them? Will he have diarrhea still? I'll have to keep a good eye on him for the next few hours.

I considered bringing Moped to DDC, but I'm really just not up to going out. The pain in my chest is still there and I'm tired from all of the goings ons of the last two days.

Moped is sitting by me and just watching Skooter play with the project toy. Even if I made Moped his own project toy, Skooter would come and take it away from him. Moped has the black Kong bone and Skooter is trying to take it away from him. Skooter is yanking Moped by the collar off of the couch and on to the floor. Skooter mades this interesting sound by opening his mouth completely, baring his teeth and kind of making a yawning sound. He's not yawning though, he's warning Moped. But Moped is holding his ground for now. Both are vocalizing and snapping at each other. Skooter's tail is wagging intermitently.

Skooter sits like his butt is really sore. It probably is because of the diarrhea he has experienced. It doesn't look irritated though.

I'm not sure if Skooter just puked up some water or tipped the bowl over. I thought I heard a weird sound, but there's been lots of weird sounds emminating from them this morning. He just drank again, so I'll watch a bit closer now.

I received an email from Lauren asking me to volunteer some time to ABR&T. I have to let her know within a day or so. I'd love to help out but I'm not sure what my medical conditon is at this point. I may have to say no and then see what happens and maybe I can join in later. I'm honored that she thought of me though and considers me competent enough to help out.

No comments:

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie
Skooter

Samantha's Prince of the Pines

Samantha's Prince of the Pines
Moped the Magnificent

Retrieve

Powered By Blogger