Bayou

Bayou
Catahoula Leopard Dog

Harley (now called Watson)

Harley (now called Watson)
Our Golden Retriever/Labrador Retriever puppy

Moped and Skooter

Moped and Skooter

Huxley and Blitz

Huxley and Blitz
hiking the Garden of the Gods
Everything you ever wanted to know about Skooter and Moped but were afraid to ask!
Want your dog to be a part of the Dog Blog? Email your picture(s) and the dog's story to internettie1960@gmail.com

A Tribute To Tabby (7/93 - 4/08)


Saturday, February 17, 2007

I need to train smarter not harder

I really do need to smarten up when it comes to training. I can't let the dogs outwit me. I need to be the pack leader. I should use their strengths when training. The hardest part is that Skooter really does ignore me. He's so used to doing it that it's hard to train it out of him. He did sit at the door to go out, but not coming back in (which I keep forgetting to enforce). The poor dog has just been misguided as to behavior because we didn't ask anything of him. Now that we are he is responding - slowly - but responding.

So what are their strengths right now? Moped is enthusiastic and a quick learner. He is eager to please. Skooter is determined and loving. He is also eager to please. Skooter also is very athletic. He'll be great in agility training one day.

I realized today that we really might not make graduation and we'll have to take the course again (it's free the second time around). I also realized that I really am okay with that. I want the dogs to be successful. I will not force them to try to do behaviors that they are not capable of yet (because I haven't trained them well enough to do the new behavior). I need to find out just what is expected for the dogs to graduate in their class. I sure would like them to go on to another class next time arouind. I'm not even sure what would be next for each of them. I'd like to have them in separate classes because I couldn't do it with both of them. David would have to come every time and help with one of the dogs. That might be too hard for us to do. I think that Canine Connection would be the next class for both of them. I believe that when they offer it they offer one class on the weekend and one during the week. That would work for us.

No comments:

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie
Skooter

Samantha's Prince of the Pines

Samantha's Prince of the Pines
Moped the Magnificent

Retrieve

Powered By Blogger