Bayou

Bayou
Catahoula Leopard Dog

Harley (now called Watson)

Harley (now called Watson)
Our Golden Retriever/Labrador Retriever puppy

Moped and Skooter

Moped and Skooter

Huxley and Blitz

Huxley and Blitz
hiking the Garden of the Gods
Everything you ever wanted to know about Skooter and Moped but were afraid to ask!
Want your dog to be a part of the Dog Blog? Email your picture(s) and the dog's story to internettie1960@gmail.com

A Tribute To Tabby (7/93 - 4/08)


Saturday, February 10, 2007

Rethinking things

I spoke to Misty tonight. I told her that I'm feeling like I need to back off and get back to basics with the dogs. I feel that we're going on to more complex behaviors when they aren't consistent with the basics yet. She had some great suggestions:

1. Get some carpet squares/welcome mats for the dog's 'spot'. This way they will have a more concrete 'spot' instead of having them just sit anywhere close to the 'spot'.

2. Set up a 15 minute private session with Ruth. I don't think the problem is with the dog's, but with my training technique. I'd like to see how she does things and they have her evaluate how I am doing.

3. Bring the dogs to the facility during the week so they can spend some time in the training room during a non-training time. This way it won't be so distracting for them when they go in the room for actual training. Misty said we could come by some morning this coming week to do this.

4. We'll continue the door program (#4 scheduled for Monday 2/12/07). We'll use the new technique for them to find their 'spot'. We'll continue to work on 'sit' and 'wait'. Misty will evaluate where they are and we'll go from there.

5. I need to take a deep breath and relax. They may not graduate and that's okay. They may not get the behaviors as quick as other dogs and that's okay. I need to just chill out.

I worked on 'sit' and 'flat' tonight for just a few minutes. We did flat because Moped did it automatically. Moped has not had to be on tie down for days now. When things start getting out of hand, they go in their kennel. They don't get yelled at or anything just redirected to their kennels. It doesn't happen very often these days. They are in their kennels right now because it's bedtime.

Here's what the first lesson entails:

* Practice 'sit' on cue 50x for Moped and 100x for Skooter over the course of the coming week. Have the dogs 'sit' in front, in back and to the sides of me; sitting and standing; different rooms; different surfaces; inside and out.

* Practice luring the dog into the 'flat' position 100x over the course of the coming week. Use educational praise (good flat); have the dogs 'flat' in front, in back and to the sides of me; sitting and standing; different rooms; different surfaces; inside and out.

* Teach your dog to LOVE being caught. Practice catching the dog by the collar or harness and reward him while you are holding on. When you let go of his collar or harness, the treats stop; make sure you can grab him anywhere on his collar or harness; don't force him to like being caught, call your instructor for help.

I don't think I've been consistent enough in the training for the dogs to learn these basic behaviors. I think I was trying to do too much. All the house rules have changed for them and they haven't had a lot of time to adjust to that. Also, Moped is new to DDC and that is effecting how he behaves (which is better in general). Moped was also neutered recently. They are going out more in the car and they are going to the new facility. That's a lot to adjust to in such a short amount of time.

I've emailed Ruth and asked for her comments and suggestions. She's not feeling well, so I don't expect to hear from her right away. I've also asked if we can set up some private sessions.

Today in Skooter's class I had David do some of the training. He needs to get more involved if this is going to work. He and I need to be consistent on how we are training the dogs. Skooter responded well to David during training.

We have 13 handouts of information that we have had to read. I've read them all, but I am not applying all of the recommended techniques because there is too much for me to remember. All the house rules will have to change. The dogs were running the house before and now we are trying to run the house.

All of a sudden they have all these toys/project toys/chews/meat bones that they never had before. And their diet has changed to a raw meat diet. Everything has changed for them.

I'll let Ruth and Misty tell me what direction to take from here on out.

No comments:

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie
Skooter

Samantha's Prince of the Pines

Samantha's Prince of the Pines
Moped the Magnificent

Retrieve

Powered By Blogger