Bayou

Bayou
Catahoula Leopard Dog

Harley (now called Watson)

Harley (now called Watson)
Our Golden Retriever/Labrador Retriever puppy

Moped and Skooter

Moped and Skooter

Huxley and Blitz

Huxley and Blitz
hiking the Garden of the Gods
Everything you ever wanted to know about Skooter and Moped but were afraid to ask!
Want your dog to be a part of the Dog Blog? Email your picture(s) and the dog's story to internettie1960@gmail.com

A Tribute To Tabby (7/93 - 4/08)


Saturday, February 24, 2007

Postponing the inevitable

Going through the classes at All Breed is great. It is really helpful and the dogs are learning a lot. I'm glad that I found All Breed. And doggy day care too. But, no matter how many classes we go through, it's not going to change the fact that we are low energy, low activity and the dogs are high energy, high activity. It also doesn't make our yard any bigger. And they need lots of space to run around.

So, I've done what I think is best and sent the surrender forms to the Rocky Mountain GSP Rescue. It was the hardest decision I have ever had to make. But I believe it's the best thing I can do for the dogs. They need a more appropriate home, one that can provide them with more attention and activity.

We didn't take them to classes today. David didn't want to go because I sent in the surrender forms. He's very upset about all this. I think that I am coping because I have things to do (filling out forms, emailing forms and pictures, checking out the website, etc.). He doesn't have anything to do except feel bad.

I'm sure that once they go I'll be terrribly sad, but I KNOW I'm doing the right thing. They spend way too much time in their kennels here. They really need a place where they can be out all of the time.

I sure do love my dogs and feel like I am doing what is right for them. It's so hard because at All Breed they say that re-homing a dog is the worst thing you can do. But sometimes I think re-homing can be a good thing. We didn't get counseling before we got the dogs to tell us what breed would suit our lifestyle. We make a bad choice in choosing GSP's. They need a lot more than we can offer.

I realize too that my life is kind of passing me by because I'm spending so much time with the dogs. They should add to my life, not detract from it. They are a full time job (which I love doing) and that means I don't have time for David or the house or friends. That's not the way it should be. If I picked an appropriate breed for us these things wouldn't be an issue.

I don't know what the process is with RMGSPR. The lady who I sent the surrender forms to said now is a good time to surrender them. They have lots of applications and dogs are being adopted quickly. We'll see what happens.

No comments:

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie
Skooter

Samantha's Prince of the Pines

Samantha's Prince of the Pines
Moped the Magnificent

Retrieve

Powered By Blogger