Bayou

Bayou
Catahoula Leopard Dog

Harley (now called Watson)

Harley (now called Watson)
Our Golden Retriever/Labrador Retriever puppy

Moped and Skooter

Moped and Skooter

Huxley and Blitz

Huxley and Blitz
hiking the Garden of the Gods
Everything you ever wanted to know about Skooter and Moped but were afraid to ask!
Want your dog to be a part of the Dog Blog? Email your picture(s) and the dog's story to internettie1960@gmail.com

A Tribute To Tabby (7/93 - 4/08)


Friday, February 23, 2007

Catching up

I haven't blogged for the last day and a half because I still have chest pain and shortness of breath. Enough about me.

Skooter and Moped spent way too much time in their kennels yesterday. When I could let them out, they had so much energy that they just ran around the house, jumping on the furniture and stealing things. I wasn't up to chasing them or grabbing them so they got to run around for a bit before I had to put them back in their kennels.

One time, when I grabbed Moped, he pulled my head into the counter and bent my second pair of glasses that I had on. That upset me but I didn't take it out on him. I just stood in the living room and cried. I was so frustrated that I can't control them.

I spent most of the day thinking that I need to find a more appropriate home for them (high energy, high activity level, lots of room to run around). I was very frustrated and I also wasn't feeling well, so it was easier to give in yesterday.

But last night, when Skooter was out and Moped was taking a siesta, I just looked at Skooter's face, his profile and thought about what it would be like not to see that again. It made me sad to think of it.

I am so torn. I really feel like I'm not able to keep up with them and that this is not a very good environment for them. On the other hand, I love them, have put a lot of time and energy into their lives and would miss them if they weren't here. What am I to do.

I think that part of the reason I'm having a difficult time is that the training is not going very well. I'm not able to put enough effort into their training right now and it shows.

What I really need is for Moped to be calm in the house. I don't care if he can sit or go flat, I just need him to behave in the house. Doggy day care would help, but he doesn't behave in the car either so I can't get him there. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

They are playing with project toys and are somewhat settled. But I have to keep my eye on them every second or they will get into something. It makes me nervous and feel like I'm trapped.

If it could be like it is right now, with Moped laying on the floor chewing on a bone and Skooter playing with the tug a jug, then I'd feel there was more sanity in this situation. But too often it feels totally insane around here.

Skooter is acting like something went down the wrong way in his throat. He's breathing heavy and sniffing real loud. He's done this type of behavior since he was a puppy. Back then he would eat (meaning digest) whatever he could get his paws on. After a $3,000 surgery, the ball of wadded up stuff was finally out of his tummy. But then we had to watch him every minute to make sure he wasn't eating anything he shouldn't. He would make the loud sniffing sound and sort of recoil from it. It's hard to explain. He's not doing it as much now, so he's probably getting whatever it is out of his throat.

Skooter is chasing Moped, trying to get his RMB from him. Skooter is very possessive these days. Misty told me to take the bone away from Skooter, if he takes it from Moped, and give it back to Moped. That shows that I makke the decisions around here, not Skooter. I just did that and it worke out okay. Skooter's back to his tug a jug and Moped has the RMB. All is well in Dog Blog land.

No comments:

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie
Skooter

Samantha's Prince of the Pines

Samantha's Prince of the Pines
Moped the Magnificent

Retrieve

Powered By Blogger