Bayou

Bayou
Catahoula Leopard Dog

Harley (now called Watson)

Harley (now called Watson)
Our Golden Retriever/Labrador Retriever puppy

Moped and Skooter

Moped and Skooter

Huxley and Blitz

Huxley and Blitz
hiking the Garden of the Gods
Everything you ever wanted to know about Skooter and Moped but were afraid to ask!
Want your dog to be a part of the Dog Blog? Email your picture(s) and the dog's story to internettie1960@gmail.com

A Tribute To Tabby (7/93 - 4/08)


Sunday, April 1, 2007

Up at 3:30am again

It's 3:30am and I'm up again. I wonder how Skooter is doing on his first night with his new family. Is he in his kennel for the night or did they let him sleep somewhere in the house? I hope he's not in his kennel, but I also hope that he doesn't chew on anything. Maybe he got over that while he was down at the Rescue. I can picture him sleeping, but I'm concerned that he might be whining. Maybe he got that out of his system too down at the Rescue.

The Rescue was definitely a positive experience for Skooter and Moped. They learned a lot while they were there. Most importantly, they learned to settle down because of all the activity they got during the day. You can't settle a GSP down that's just jumping with energy. They were finally able to expend enough energy at times to be able to settle down. I wonder if Moped is still settled down. Are they still happy with their choice of Moped? Is Skooter's new family glad that they chose him? I hope to get an email from Kris telling me how he is settling in, just like she did for Moped. I know she's an extremely busy person, but I hope she takes the time to fill me in. I'd like to hear that Skooter has really taken to the family and is sleeping out of his kennel. I'd also like to hear that he does Mr. Wiggles still and continues to smile.

I have so much invested in these dogs - time, money, and effort. Did the new families take time to read the letter I wrote? Have they watched Skooter and Moped's puppy videos and looked at their puppy pictures? I hope I didn't put effort into those projects for nothing. I guess I won't hear from the new owners like I dreamed I would. That was just wishful thinking on my part. I can understand them wanting to break the old ties for the dogs. I guess I wouldn't want to worry about the former owner wanting to visit or take the dogs back. I wouldn't do that, of course. I mean, I wouldn't mind seeing pictures of them, but that's it. I wouldn't want to confuse the dogs.

So, I sit here and wait, wondering how my boys are doing even though they aren't my boys anymore. At some point I have to let go. I'm just not ready to do that yet. I'm waiting on the email about how Skooter settled in before I talk myself into letting go. And I know it is a choice to hang on to them. I can't wait until I'm happy for them and I don't cry (or at least not cry so easily!).

I hope Skooter's not too confused being in his new home. He's such a serious, sensitive dog. I'm sure they had time to get aquainted with him on the long ride home. I can't imagine that they kept him in his kennel the whole way. He rides so gentlemanly in the back seat. I guess they will figure that out if they already haven't.

I hope Kris remembered to send Skooter's tug a jug with him, along with his other toys and chews. He'll need those to keep himself occupied. I'm sure he'll be settled down because he will be cautious at first. Or maybe not. Maybe he'll just jump right in with all four paws. I know he'll make an excellent addition to their family. I do hope that they know how lucky they are to have Skooter. He's one in a million.

After looking at other GSP Rescue sites, I can't imagine that I wouldn't adopt from a Rescue when it comes time to get another dog. It'll be a long while before that happens, but a Rescue dog is the way to go.

Well, that's it for this morning. I'm going to try to go back to bed and not lay there thinking of the dogs all night. I'm really starting to need my sleep and getting up at 3:30am just isn't helping me physically or mentally. It does help emotionally to get out these thoughts though. So, goodnight, Skoots and Mopes. I love you.

No comments:

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie
Skooter

Samantha's Prince of the Pines

Samantha's Prince of the Pines
Moped the Magnificent

Retrieve

Powered By Blogger