Bayou

Bayou
Catahoula Leopard Dog

Harley (now called Watson)

Harley (now called Watson)
Our Golden Retriever/Labrador Retriever puppy

Moped and Skooter

Moped and Skooter

Huxley and Blitz

Huxley and Blitz
hiking the Garden of the Gods
Everything you ever wanted to know about Skooter and Moped but were afraid to ask!
Want your dog to be a part of the Dog Blog? Email your picture(s) and the dog's story to internettie1960@gmail.com

A Tribute To Tabby (7/93 - 4/08)


Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Bayou has settled down

I did some training with Bayou and now she is sleeping. She loves to do training. I think it's going to be fun bringing her to puppy classes. The distraction of the other dogs will be huge. Whenever anyone comes in the house she goes nuts (dryer guys, pizza guy). She wants to meet everyone. I don't know what shots she needs to be able to go to Petsmart. I'd like to be able to take her there so we can work on leash training and getting her used to being in a different environment. I could bring her to PetCo and Lowes too. Once the weather gets nicer I can start taking her for short walks. Right now she's all over the place when on the leash. I want to work with her on staying by my side. If we didn't have snow we could practice in the back yard too. Plus the cold keeps us in. I'm still cold from our last time we went out and that was about half an hour ago. Brr. Chill. Brr.

For treats I got some Bil-jac Little Jacs and then I ordered some Zukes. All the Zukes are harder than the Little Jacs. I'll use the Little Jacs for puppy classes. She likes all the treats but it's harder for her to chew the Zukes. They tend to not be fresh when I buy them (or maybe they just are harder treats). I have to get a treat bag for puppy class but I have time to get it. I'll have to look at the list and see what else I'll need for class. I wish I could have started classes sooner with her but the next session doesn't start until March 6th. It will be really nice to have the classes at the vet's office. It's so close. David said that he would go with me since the class is on Sundays at 4pm. We'll be learning a lot in 6 weeks time. I'm also going to try to get Bayou certified as a S.T.A.R. puppy (it's an AKC certification). S.T.A.R. stands for socialization, training, activity and responsibility. There are things I have to do as an owner and things that Bayou will have to do (not be aggressive with people or other dogs, sit, down, come, walk on a leash, etc.). If she passes she'll get a medal, certificate and be listed as a S.T.A.R. puppy with the AKC. The test only cost $10.00. Once she passes that test we'll start working on the Canine Good Citizen (CGC) certification. There are 10 skills that Bayou will have to learn to be CGC certified. I wanted to do this with Harley but he was so out of control that it wasn't even a thought once his behavior got out of control. Bayou though will not get like that. I will work with her every day with training, play and being held, groomed and checked (like by a vet). I want her to be a great puppy. She's still sleeping so right now she is the perfect puppy. lol

No comments:

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie
Skooter

Samantha's Prince of the Pines

Samantha's Prince of the Pines
Moped the Magnificent

Retrieve

Powered By Blogger