Bayou

Bayou
Catahoula Leopard Dog

Harley (now called Watson)

Harley (now called Watson)
Our Golden Retriever/Labrador Retriever puppy

Moped and Skooter

Moped and Skooter

Huxley and Blitz

Huxley and Blitz
hiking the Garden of the Gods
Everything you ever wanted to know about Skooter and Moped but were afraid to ask!
Want your dog to be a part of the Dog Blog? Email your picture(s) and the dog's story to internettie1960@gmail.com

A Tribute To Tabby (7/93 - 4/08)


Monday, July 16, 2007

Chasing the cats

It's a bit after 1am and here I am again. I thought the girls were going to stay in bed, but the cats came down to the bathroom to see me and they jumped off the bed and chased Paulie and Tabby. Thankfully they didn't bark, but they did whine. The dogs thought they had the cats cornered. But the cats were very quick, and that's saying something for Tabby, and jumped into the tub. But the shower curtain was open leaving them as sitting ducks, so I closed the it as fast as I could. That kept the dogs at bay, they just whined some more. Unfortunately this whole adventure has me awake at 1am. Blitz is now on the oouch and I think Huxley went back to bed. I'm sure I'll get tired soon and head back to bed myself. (Hi Nick. Glad to see you here.)

Last night the girls went to bed early as usual. For some reason Paulie thought it was okay to come out into the living room. He wasn't out here but a few seconds when he meowed quite loudly. Before he could get away from my chair the dogs came charging out of the bedroom. Paulie heard them and didn't know what to do. He couldn't make it to the safety of the bathroom tub, so he stood his ground. The dogs came after him. They trapped him in the living room in the middle of the floor. Paulie put up an amazing fight (even though they hadn't touched him). If he had claws there would have been two bloody dogs to deal with. He whacked them both in the face pretty hard. Then he jumped over them and ran into the bedroom. I got the spray bottle as quickly as I could and sprayed Huxley and Blitz. That calmed them down pretty fast. Paulie went right under the bed. He was terrified. And I'm sure he was pissed too. I think he's had it with these dogs coming after him.

Then there was this morning's chase. I couldn't get to the spray bottle in time and missed an opportunity to spritz them. When they jumped out of bed, I think they jumped on David's legs. Poor guy! He really needs to sleep through the night and the dogs have been waking him up. Four thirty comes awfully quick and the last thing he needs is to have the dogs wake him up.

This is the reason that the girls can't stay here much longer. It's having a terrible toll on the cats and because of that, it's taking it's toll on David and me. I sure hope that the man from Utah will be interested in taking them. They are great dogs, they just need more discipline and to live in a home without cats. They really are sweet, loveable dogs to us. It's just that the situation with the cats is making it impossible to keep them. Not that I would, but finding homes for the cats would be difficult at best because of their age (Tabby is 15 and Minnie and Paulie are 7). And I would be lost without my cats. I couldn't give them up.

It's now 1:30am and all is well again in the household. Blitzie will probably run to bed when I get out of my chair. I hope they leave some room for me. Last night when I went back to bed, they hadn't left any room for me and I couldn't get them to move over (and I even pushed them!). I went out and slept in my chair for a little while and then I went in and got them off the bed. I was able to get into bed, but they came back and trapped me under the oovers. Huxley was on my right side and Blitz was on my left side. They both were up against my legs, so I was pinned down. It made for an uncomfortable nights sleep.

I brought this all upon myself. I should be more disciplined with them. I never should have allowed them to sleep on the bed. And I really should have attacked the problem of them chasing the cats as soon as it started happening. Just saying 'no' isn't enough. They need to be sprited and told 'no'. I believe that by letting them do what they want, I have created my own monsters (Huxentein and Blitzenstein LOL). I would like to get a dog someday that I could raise from a puppy. But the dog would have to be proven to be a lazy dog, but an obedient dog as well.

Well, it's quarter to two now and I should try to go back to bed. I'm feeling tired again. The dogs have settled down and going to bed shouldn't get them going again. As long as they don't see a cat, we'll all be fine.

No comments:

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie
Skooter

Samantha's Prince of the Pines

Samantha's Prince of the Pines
Moped the Magnificent

Retrieve

Powered By Blogger