Bayou

Bayou
Catahoula Leopard Dog

Harley (now called Watson)

Harley (now called Watson)
Our Golden Retriever/Labrador Retriever puppy

Moped and Skooter

Moped and Skooter

Huxley and Blitz

Huxley and Blitz
hiking the Garden of the Gods
Everything you ever wanted to know about Skooter and Moped but were afraid to ask!
Want your dog to be a part of the Dog Blog? Email your picture(s) and the dog's story to internettie1960@gmail.com

A Tribute To Tabby (7/93 - 4/08)


Friday, March 11, 2011

Sit Means Sit (really, it does!)

 


On Friday, March 18th, at 4pm someone from SMS will be here to do the demonstration for us. I have the money set aside to start the program. Bayou is being a little angel right now (sleeping). I tried to get her to nap on our bed so I could get a nap in but she wouldn't settle down. I think that what I really need help with is getting her to come when called and go in her kennel when commanded. All the chasing around and bending is hurting my back and frustrating me. I'm not frustrated with Bayou, I'm frustrated that I'm so out of shape that I can't keep up with this puppy. Getting her trained is going to make all the difference for me. Sit Means Sit is definitely the way to go for me and Bayou. The video above shows a German Shorthair Pointer puppy who is 17 weeks old. He is very energetic and unfocused in the beginning of the video. After a week they  recorded him again and there was marked improvement. He was very focused and obedient. I'm glad to see that there will be a noticeable difference in just a week. I'm looking for perfection in a week just improvement.

I wish that someone from SMS could come sooner but that was the first appointment that I could get so that David could be here too. I just have to make it through the next week and then things will move forward in the direction I want them to. I honestly have no idea what to do to train Bayou to come to me, walk with me, stay, focus, retrieve a toy, etc. I've tried using treats but I think she's sick of treats already. They aren't even special anymore. I don't know if SMS uses lots of treats or not. I know that they do use a toy and of course the e-collar (which is like a tap on the shoulder, I've felt it myself). I look forward to when Bayou wants to do things just to please me and get a toy vs. bribing her with treats to get her to do anything.

I've been watching as many videos as I can on youtube. There are lots of SMS videos. I really look forward to the changes that are to come.

Next week I'll be ordering a new bed for Bayou's kennel (a 28" x 42"). She's too big for the small beds me have right now. Ha! I just looked over at her and she's got her belly up and her legs dangling everywhere. She looks very comfortable. Anyway, I'm going to use an Amazon Gift Card that I got through Swag Bucks to pay for the bed. I may have to pay a little under $2 for it with the AGC. That's such a great deal.

David has hockey tonight and tomorrow night and maybe on Sunday. That's a lot of time for Bayou and I to work on sit, down and stay. We're just beginning "stay" so I'm sure that's going to take a while. We also need to work on paw and high 5. She tends to do high 10. LOL I know she is smart and can learn. I just need to learn the way that works best for her through SMS. I've seen the difference that SMS has made in Harley/Watson so that gives me a lot of hope. Beside that training they also have get together classes around town (at least that's what was happening when we gave up Harley/Watson). I really want to get her out there with other dogs and eventually work her with distractions. We'll definitely be able to practice that with the dogs out back.

I'm just so anxious to get the SMS training started. I want to see change and improvement in my relationship with Bayou. I want her to be focused on me and attentive to what I want her to do. I guess I can be patient.

No comments:

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie
Skooter

Samantha's Prince of the Pines

Samantha's Prince of the Pines
Moped the Magnificent

Retrieve

Powered By Blogger