Bayou

Bayou
Catahoula Leopard Dog

Harley (now called Watson)

Harley (now called Watson)
Our Golden Retriever/Labrador Retriever puppy

Moped and Skooter

Moped and Skooter

Huxley and Blitz

Huxley and Blitz
hiking the Garden of the Gods
Everything you ever wanted to know about Skooter and Moped but were afraid to ask!
Want your dog to be a part of the Dog Blog? Email your picture(s) and the dog's story to internettie1960@gmail.com

A Tribute To Tabby (7/93 - 4/08)


Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Not such a great day

Maria told me that Bayou is more hyper than the 2 puppies she had. That made me feel bad. What is it about me that makes crazy dogs? Tonight David said that she's crazy and I need to do more with her during the day. That really made me feel bad. She's been barking all night, all day really, and when she's out of her kennel she runs around like a crazy dog and gets to a point where she jumps at us and bites. Really, why do I bring this out in dogs? I know the best thing I can do is put her in Sit Means Sit training. Puppy classes just don't do it. She has too much energy (not a bad thing) and the puppy classes don't give her an outlet to get that much energy out. I think that SMS would be a better thing for Bayou. I do feel bad though that I'm not doing whatever it is that I need to do to make her a more calm, happy dog. Don't get me wrong, I love her and plan on doing whatever it takes to keep her and make her a calm and happy dog.

Well, she's finally tired herself out and she's sleeping. The snoring is way better than the barking. LOL

Seriously though, I was embarrassed today at Bayou's behavior while Maria was here. She barked almost the whole time she was here and when I let her out, once on leash, once off, she just went nuts jumping up on Maria. She just kept saying how hyper Bayou is and that I seem to bring that out in dogs (she saw Harley before he was given away). I don't want to be embarrassed by my dog and I don't want my dog to be so crazy that she can't have a nice life. I want a companion dog but I pick these breeds that have more energy than I can deal with. I'd take her out walking if I thought she would walk with me but I know she won't at this point. We didn't learn very much in the first puppy class and now we don't meet for another 2 weeks. I need to do something between now and then to try to fix this problem. Maybe tomorrow I'll try to take her to PetSmart and see how she does there. They have slippery floors so I'm not sure she'll like that but she has to get used to them.

I know that she's just a puppy and that barking, digging, biting is all part of the package but I also know that at this point it's excessive. Maybe I'll contact SMS and see what they can do for me. I think Bayou is old enough to start training with them (she's 13 1/2 weeks now). I know they use an e-collar and I have no problem with that. Whatever it takes to get her to behave and make life better for all of us (including Maria). I don't want Maria to dread coming to the house to clean because Bayou is going to bark the whole time.

So, once again I have a dog that is running my life but the difference this time is that I'm not giving up. I'll do whatever it takes to make this work.

No comments:

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie
Skooter

Samantha's Prince of the Pines

Samantha's Prince of the Pines
Moped the Magnificent

Retrieve

Powered By Blogger