Bayou

Bayou
Catahoula Leopard Dog

Harley (now called Watson)

Harley (now called Watson)
Our Golden Retriever/Labrador Retriever puppy

Moped and Skooter

Moped and Skooter

Huxley and Blitz

Huxley and Blitz
hiking the Garden of the Gods
Everything you ever wanted to know about Skooter and Moped but were afraid to ask!
Want your dog to be a part of the Dog Blog? Email your picture(s) and the dog's story to internettie1960@gmail.com

A Tribute To Tabby (7/93 - 4/08)


Monday, April 5, 2010

Spoke to Dr. J

Harley is doing his best to destroy the back yard. He has about 2/3 of the big bush out there torn out of the ground. I put his super large ball out there but he doesn't seem to have any interest in it. He'd rather pull up parts of the bush. I'm not sure how to get him to stop digging and destroying in the back yard.

I talked to Dr. J last night about Harley. She wants me to do some repetition work with Harley when he starts biting. I have to remove myself from the situation by going in another room for about a minute. If I come out and he goes after me again I have to go right back in the room. I have to do this 4-5 times or until he stops going after me. If he continues after 4-5 times then I need to go in the room for 5-10 minutes to let him deescalate his frustration. I can see that I'm going to be spending a lot of time walking down the hallway and sitting in my bedroom. But who knows, maybe he'll surprise me and get it the 1st or 2nd time.

My homework from Dr. J is to note how the above protocol is working and to write down what was going on just before he started biting. There may be something that is triggering him that is not completely obvious so I need to really pay attention to what is going on around us.

I felt better after talking to Dr. J. Having a plan helps reduce the stress. Dr. J also told me that it will be another 2 weeks or so before the Prozac begins to take effect. So, we play the waiting game but at least I have a protocol to use in the mean time.

Dr. J wants me to continue working on getting Harley to relax and getting him to sit-stay. I think I'm feeling overwhelmed by Harley already today.

No comments:

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie
Skooter

Samantha's Prince of the Pines

Samantha's Prince of the Pines
Moped the Magnificent

Retrieve

Powered By Blogger