Bayou

Bayou
Catahoula Leopard Dog

Harley (now called Watson)

Harley (now called Watson)
Our Golden Retriever/Labrador Retriever puppy

Moped and Skooter

Moped and Skooter

Huxley and Blitz

Huxley and Blitz
hiking the Garden of the Gods
Everything you ever wanted to know about Skooter and Moped but were afraid to ask!
Want your dog to be a part of the Dog Blog? Email your picture(s) and the dog's story to internettie1960@gmail.com

A Tribute To Tabby (7/93 - 4/08)


Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Bits and pieces

I checked the Rescue website and there are 3 more dogs that have been adopted. That's so cool. I wish they all could get homes for Christmas.

I think I've finally resolved in my mind that the reason that I kept the dogs so long is because I felt needed by the dogs. Being home all day by myself had me feeling empty but after a lot of thought I can see that I have a great life and that I don't need dogs that don't fit into my life to make me feel needed.

I did a quiz on Facebook, "What king of dog are you?". I am a Maltese. I looked them up online and they are so cute. They are a toy breed, a small dog. That's what I should have had all along - a small dog. I don't want a dog now but maybe one day I could consider it. I'd like a dog that I could walk instead of one that walks me. LOL And it would be nice to have a trained dog, one that would sleep in it's own bed instead of hogging mine. But that's way off in the future. It's not something I would do now.

The cats are really enjoying the dogs being gone. They are usually on me or in bed (sound familiar?). I figured out a way to decorate the house for Christmas so that the cats can't get to the decorations. It looks very Christmas-y in here now. Paulie did try to get the paper chains I made but I have them up high enough that all he can do is look at them. I was digging through the decorations and found a tree that Zach had made for us years ago. It was nice to see that I've kept it all these years. His mom isn't doing very well. She's grieving in a big way. I guess I would too if I were in her shoes. It's so sad. I sent them a sympathy basket that has a teddy bear in it with a ribbon that says "Thinking of You". I hope they can enjoy it.

It's nice to know that all the dogs have good homes and that I don't have to worry about them. I miss their company, but I love the freedom I have now. All of my focus was on them and I just didn't get to anything else. Now I have lots of time to focus on me and David and actually living my life.

I have to prepare myself mentally for re-homing the cats. They have taken over the house and I want my house back. Maybe one day I'll figure out how to have my home the way I want it and to have a pet too. But until then, I really don't want any pets. Minnie and Paulie are very affectionate so I think they would do okay with being re-homed. I just have to get up the nerve to give them up.

I'm sitting here eating Christmas candies and there is no one begging for some. It's kind of nice. I know it was my fault that the dogs didn't behave. I didn't require them to. I taught them a lot of bad habits (sleeping on the bed, sharing food, etc.). And they certainly weren't going to learn how to walk on a leash if I never took them out. Their new owner is taking them for walks separately. That's a good thing. I bet they love it.

I'll update again when I decide I have the energy to re-home the cats.

No comments:

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie

Samantha"s Prince of the Prairie
Skooter

Samantha's Prince of the Pines

Samantha's Prince of the Pines
Moped the Magnificent

Retrieve

Powered By Blogger